Monday, October 26, 2020

It's Monday, but It's Okay

 One of the managers posted a picture with that saying.  It's another day and we're still here.  The morning was overcast, so I couldn't see any stars.  I pulled weeds in the dark, fed my ducks, and put the rest in the compost pile.  

Speaking of composting, I read an article about a startup, Recompose, in Seattle.  They seek to compost humans.  I have to admit that it appeals to me.  Personally, I'm against embalming and burial in a concrete vault.  Place me in the dirt and let me return to the Earth.  Recompose "sounds" romantic and beautiful.  Place your loved one in a bed of alfalfa and let them return to soil.  Don't dig deeper.  Let's just stay at that point.

Details to Dissuade

Not trying to get morbid, but still on the topic of death - losing my dad is still too fresh.  He had opted for cremation.  I went with my mother to the funeral home to sign all the papers and confirm what was to be done with his body.  In the paperwork, she had to sign a statement that she had read details of what happens during a cremation.  The director told us that it was a law in our state.  It came about when cremation was a new option and the funeral homes lobbied against it.  They got our state to pass a law requiring that the relatives of the deceased had to read the gruesome details of what cremation did to a body.  They did it to get people to choose the embalming route.

Transition

Still going through the grief process and the changes that come with losing a loved one.  I still think that he was robbed of life, but so many people in this world have had their lives cut short.  I need to remember that.  I still worry about my mother.  They had a great marriage and loved each other very much.  Now she is alone.  I can walk to her house, but we're still so far away.  There are hours that she must fill and the pandemic makes time feel longer.  I stopped by her house to check on a few things, and found her lying on the sofa.  I asked her if she were okay.  She said that she was tired.  I asked about gardening or cleaning.  She said 'no' and that she was just tired.  Grief weighs heavily upon her.


No comments:

Post a Comment